Thank you from your winner – Lizzie!

elizabethkapasaIt’s an honour to have won! I can’t thank you all enough for voting for me. I really love engineering and I’m so glad I chose it. I was blessed to have found my course, so I wanted you all to know that you can be an engineer too. I hope you all know a bit more about the exciting world of engineering that you could be a part of!

It was great meeting you through the chats and answering your questions. So many of you asked really good and insightful questions that really made me think. You all helped remind me what an amazing field I work in and have encouraged me to continue doing my research and future outreach. You have inspired me and I hope I have inspired some of you – both boys and girls to study engineering.

I hope to inspire more young people to study engineering through the children’s book, ‘Suzie & Ricky – The Crash Landing’, I’ve recently published with Women in Engineering at the University of Sheffield. I want to use this money to publish more books to distribute them nationally around the UK to primary schools in order to raise awareness about engineering. Whenever you see the book you can remember that you are a part of inspiring future generations to become engineers!

A big thank you to all the staff at ‘I’m an engineer get me out of here!’ for organising and running the event so effectively and with a good sense of humour. I hope the success of this and ‘I’m a scientist’ continues. Thank you to the other engineers – Sonia, Nick, Chuen and Andrew – for their time and enthusiasm in answering questions. I wish them and the engineers from the other zones all the best. Lastly, thank you to the Wellcome Trust and the other sponsors for making all of this possible through their funding.

Thank you again for this award. I can’t wait to see what a difference it will make.  I wish you all bright and happy futures. Remember, don’t stop asking questions and follow what you enjoy doing!

Posted on June 30, 2015 by modangela in News. Leave a comment.